YWCA JOB SEARCH SUPPORT PROGRAM FOR WOMEN
For more information and to register, contact Kate Foster at
Fall Computer Classes
WHAT IS THE PROGRAM?
The YW’s Job Search Support program is designed to support women in all aspects of the job search process with an individualized approach. Women seeking employment may need to improve their Microsoft Office skills, update their resumes, consult with someone about the process of finding or returning to work or may simply want to discuss where to start. There is a cost for these services with financial assistance available to anyone demonstrating a need. All services are provided at the YWCA Darien/Norwalk.
The first step is to schedule a ½ hour free consultation with the Job Search Support Coordinator.
WHAT SPECIFIC SERVICES ARE OFFERED?
- 30-minute free consultation with JSS Coordinator for assessment and recommendation
- One-on-one resume writing; discuss your resume and work with JSS Coordinator in Computer Center to create/update resume; process is based on current trends and learning how to leverage past job or volunteer work into suitable/recommended presentation.
- Individual coaching/job search strategy; learn how to navigate the waters of the job search process based on past experience, current trends, interests, and psychosocial circumstances; focus on networking resources, internet searches, websites, LinkedIn, etc.
- Interview preparation; meet with JSS Coordinator to discuss strategies and best practices in the interview process incorporating your strengths, concerns, specifics of the upcoming interview, etc.
Computer classes (taught at the YW Computer Center classroom with 10 computers):
- Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher) with class exercises that provide practical applications to the workplace taught by JSS Coordinator
- Keyboarding for those needing to learn or improve typing skills taught by volunteer, Mandy Teare.
- Individual tutoring in Microsoft Office with JSS Coordinator as requested
Workshops such as:
- Understanding Social Styles
- Navigating the Job Search World: My Personal Journey
- Women & Money
- LinkedIn and Your Job Search
- Updating Your LinkedIn Profile
WHO TEACHES THE COMPUTER CLASSES?
Kate Foster, JSS Coordinator, teaches Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Publisher
Mandy Teare, Volunteer, teaches Keyboarding.
WHERE ARE THE COMPUTER CLASSES HELD?
Classes are held at the Computer Center at the YW in Darien which features state of the art computer stations.
The Computer Center was made possible by a generous grant from the
Darien Technology & Community Fund, Fall 2009.
HOW DO I ENROLL IN THE CLASSES OR OTHER SERVICES?
Contact Kate Foster, JSS Program Coordinator at the YW, 203-655-2535 or email her at