Thank you for your interest in volunteering at the YWCA Darien/Norwalk!
Our national mission, eliminating racism and empowering women, translates locally into a vision to give women the support and tools they need to transform their lives, be confident in their choices and raise healthy families. We strive to create opportunities for growth, leadership and empowerment for all women and families, and we welcome you as a partner in our work.
If you are interested in volunteering for a specific role listed below or want to learn more about how your skills can benefit the women we serve, please contact Laura Racanelli, Volunteer Coordinator at
or by calling 203-655-2535.
YWCA DARIEN/NORWALK COMMITTEE NEEDS FOR 2012-2013
Finance Committee (Standing Committee)
Committee Needs: At least 1 individual with accounting background.
Role: Formulate financial policies and monitor the financial operations. Investigate and authorize major expenditures. Ensure that the financial status is reported monthly and the annual budget yearly to Board of Directors in a manner that meets their fiscal responsibilities.
Investment Committee (Standing Committee)
Committee Needs: At least 2 individuals with investment background.
Role: Provide oversight of the YWCA’s investment portfolio and report to the Board regarding the organization’s investments. Advise the Executive Director and staff in developing the annual operating budget and advise on mid-year budget revisions as needed.
Committee Needs: At least two other individuals with experience in strategic planning or programming or desire to be involved in formulating strategy and direction of the YWCA Darien/Norwalk. MBA’s or those with backgrounds in management consulting, strategy, or organizational development would be very helpful.
Role: To develop and recommend the overall strategic direction for the YWCA. To develop near and long term initiatives, and monitor progress and review results as a basis for setting new strategy. To recommend actions to the Executive Committee and, if necessary, to the Board consistent with the Strategic Plan.
- To review the organizations programs and develop new programs that fit within the YWCA Darien/Norwalk mission and will either grow the organization’s membership or bring in donor funds.
- Provide feedback and counsel to committees, events, programs and activities to ensure priorities and goals are aligned with those of the organization.
Committee Needs: Ideally, this should be a large committee because it has sub-committees underneath that need staffing. 4-6 individuals with membership, technology, marketing, development or fund raising background or interest.
Donation Coordinator need: Need someone in charge of donations overall and for each event.
Role:To prioritize and strategize regarding potential fund raising opportunities for the Organization. Every Board Member should be prepared to identify and cultivate potential donors and members, both individual and corporate. However, solicitations should be coordinated through the development committee to ensure continuity of contact with potential and current donors.
- Create development plan with near, mid and long term action items.
- The Development committee is organized into sub-committees focused on the following: Research/Solicitation, Cultivation Events (WOD, Race, Annual Meeting), Fundraising Events, Membership, and Technology
- The organization’s communications manager should participate in meetings at the request of the committee
- To review and oversee the special events calendar and ensure that the planned events are on message and will raise funds for the organization.
Committee Needs: At least 2 individuals with marketing or membership growth background or interest.
Role: To identify ways to marketing the organization to continually increase membership. This group should also look at current membership benefits to understand how to increase the value for more members.
Committee Needs: At least 2 individuals with technology background or interest.
Role: To evaluate the technology needs at the YWCA for both staff and members to ensure systems and processes optimize the user experiences. There is a pressing need right now to review the existing systems to see upgrading or switching to new systems would be the best next step.
Committee Needs: Still to be determined but will likely need 2 individuals with non-profit marketing or advocacy background or interest.
Role: To educate YWCA members and the community on issues related to the mission and programs of the YWCA. Take appropriate action at the local, state, and federal levels to effect change.
- Serve as association’s Advocacy Point Persons to the YWCA Northeast Region (NERC) Advocacy Committee.
- Develop draft advocacy policy for the YWCA Darien Norwalk Board of Directors and procedures, including a rapid response procedure for adoption by the Board.
- Inform and educate the Board on national and local policy stands by disseminating advocacy and public policy alerts from the YWCA National and Regional Offices.
Committee Needs: Will need a committed core of high school age girls who are will and able to come to the house on a regular basis to complete tasks as determined by Chair and ED.
Role: To keep the YWCA house neat, clean and looking it’s best. Responsible for exterior planting and painting as well as interior upkeep and attractiveness. Also assist Executive Director and staff with finding vendors/contractors; getting bids, etc. for large and small maintenance jobs beyond regularly scheduled maintenance.
Nominating (Standing Committee)
Committee Needs: 1 additional BOARD member to help with identification and recruitment of new board and committee members.
Role:To fill Board vacancies as they arise, manage annual Board turnover through a pre-determined process. All should be interested in working with other people, be organized and discreet.
- Identify a diverse and talented pool of potential YWCA volunteers that includes representation from the organization’s clubs as well as the community.
- Use the relationships of the nominating committee to fill Board and committee vacancies on an as needed and annual basis.
- Provide information and assist in preparation of the Ballot for Board Member election at Annual General Meeting.
Job Search Support (JSS)
Committee Needs: 1-2 additional members to help with grant writing and outreach to local social services agencies.
Role: To help raise awareness for the JSS program in the community. To aid Kate in reaching out to local social services agencies. To create marketing opportunities to identify clients for the services. To support the JSS Program through grant identification and writing.
- Substitute Teacher positions available
- Assist with membership mailings, including labeling, sorting and tracking
- Help plan the following events: Christmas Boutique, Panto, Spring Benefit Dinner Dance, The YW Race, Women of Distinction Luncheon, Push-n-Pull Parade, Cookies for a Cause
- Solicit sponsorship/advertisers, coordinate volunteers, manage live and silent auctions, research and secure speakers, entertainers and other vendors
- Organize raffles and sell tickets